Friday, October 13, 2017

Glowing Eyes Skull Candle


Happy Friday the 13th candle friends.  Does anyone know why Friday the 13th is considered an unlucky day?  After a quick net search I'm still unclear on what makes this superstitious date combination frightening.

anyway...

I spent a few months trying to make a bleeding skull candle; you know the ones right, the skull that has a black outer shell of wax and the inside is a deep blood red and as it burns the waxy blood drips over the skull. Gross but so cool looking and I just had to try my hand at making some!

It was a head banging candle making experience full of filthy words and curses.

1.  It is very difficult to get a thin enough black shell so that the red interior wax doesn't show through causing the black wax to take on a purple tinge.
2. As my tests burned, the black wax mixed with the red and dribbled grayish purple down the candle
3.  If it dripped at all.
4.  I changed wick placement so often that one of my skull molds looks like Pin Head now.

I decided to shelve the whole project back in August, since I wasn't coming close to the effect I wanted..

But as I scrolling through photos on my phone this afternoon something caught my eye.   Sure, I didn't get that awesome drippy blood but I did get a pretty cool effect that was totally on accident and I didn't even notice it at the time. 

As much as I like the glowing red eyes I do really want a drippy blood candle.  If anyone has had success or has any helpful advise or tips, please share.   It's definitely a project I'll return too in the future so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS